Free Part time Day Courses
Back To Education Initiative (BTEI), for eligibility see below
What is the Back to Education Initiative?
The Back To Education Initiative (BTEI) provides part-time further education courses mainly for people who have not completed the Leaving Certificate or an equivalent qualification.
It gives individuals the opportunity to combine learning with family, work and other responsibilities. Anyone who has left full-time education can take part in a course, but priority will be given to those with less than upper second-level education.
Who can take part in BTEI programmes?
Anyone who has left full-time education can take part in a course being offered.
What will a BTEI course cost?
Individuals will have different entitlements.
- Those who have a Leaving Cert or less and who are in receipt of unemployment payments or means-tested social welfare benefits
- family income supplement payments,
- holders of medical cards,
- dependents of those entitled to any of these, are entitled to free tuition.
- Other unwaged people with no Leaving Cert will be entitled to a ?reduction in fees.
- Anyone else will be charged fees. All fees will be discussed after participants apply for the course of their choice using the online application.
- Applicants will then be contacted by the college before the course commences to inform them of any fees that may apply.
Will I be paid while attending a BTEI course?
Generally no, except for those participants eligible for full-time Youthreach/Traveller training programmes who do not have an underlying social welfare entitlement. They will receive a pro-rata training allowance from the Department of Education and Science, depending on the number of sessions they attend.
For people in receipt of social welfare payments, continued entitlement to benefit is ?subject to satisfying the Department of Social and Family Affairs as to their continued eligibility for the schemes. It is best to discuss individual circumstances with the social welfare office.
What will I get from taking part in a BTEI programme?
Participation in part-time programmes can provide the opportunities to:
- Continue your learning
- Obtain national certification by the Further Education and Training
- Awards Council (FETAC) – participants can choose to pursue certification ?when they are ready
- Develop new skills
- Pursue new employment options
For further details contact:
Tel: (021) 4255561