Bicycle Repair and Maintenance, teaches you how to keep your bicycle in perfect working order, covering cleaning your bicycle, puncture repair, brake alignment and maintenance, gear indexing, cable replacement, and drive chain maintenance.
- Parts of the bicycle
- ABCD check (air, Brakes, Chain, Drop) getting on the road
- Puncture repair
- Regular maintenance and cleaning
- Fitting wheels
- Specialised tools and how to use them
- Workshop safety
- Fitting brake pads and cables and checking for wear
- Chains and drive chain; checking for wear and fitting a new chain
- What different sounds mean
- Wear and damage to cogs, etc.
- Gear adjustment Replacing freewheels and cassettes
- Different gear shifters
- Changing gear cables
- Checking for wear in rotational systems (cones, bearings, headsets)
- Introduction to refurbishment of rotational systems (ball bearings in races)
- Introduction to wheel truing
Tutor: Ulick O’Beirne
Wednesdays: 7PM-9.00PM (8 weeks)
Adult Education office Telephone: 086-0410668
Course delivery format and costing may change depending on government guidelines’ around the pandemic.