Higher Education Links
- All courses in this Prospectus are either QQI Level 5 or QQI Level 6 have a QQI Award Code e.g. 5M2061 – Mechanical Engineering
- All courses have a minimum of 8 modules and all modules have individual component codes
- Progression to Higher Education (HE) is on the basis of achieving a full award (major) at QQI Level 5 or QQI Level 6
- The listed links in this Prospectus are with the Higher Education Institutions that St. John’s Central College consider to be the most relevant links
- QQI links with the HEI’s are subject to change. For a complete listing of all QQI Level 5 and Level 6 links with Higher Education Institutions please consult . http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=fetac
- For the majority of Level 6 and Level 7 courses in Institutes of Technology, the minimum entry requriment is a full QQI Level 5 or Level 6 award with “Any” QQI major award with either Leaving Certificate Maths (OD3) or a pass on a Level 5 QQI Maths module.
- As Maths may be requried as an entry requirement for progression purposes, in St. John’s Central College Maths is offered as an optional module to students, except where Maths is already part of the award.
- Special links have been developed between CIT and St. John’s Central College these have been established under the Cork Colleges Progression Scheme. http://www.cit.ie/prospectivestudents.ccps
- Other relevent links include Tralee Insitute of Technology, Waterford Institute of Technology and Limerick Institute of Technology
- Some QQI Level 6 courses/QQI Level 6 awards have advanced entry options/agreements with specific Higher Education Institutions e.g. CIT, ITT, WIT and LIT
- Some of the linked courses in Higher Education Institutions may require a specific award, specific grade and/or specific module requirments (especially Level 8 courses)
- Some courses, especially Art and Design Courses and some Media Technology Courses, may have entrance criteria such as portfolios and/or interviews
- CAO points can be earned for application to Higher Education Institutes by successfully
completing a full QQI Level 5 or Level 6 award
- QQI awards are recognised in many HEI’S in the UK and the EU. Application to the UK is via www.ucas.com and to other EU Institutes are per the application process of that country-check with the Service.
- A major award may be achieved over more than one year. However, some institutions (usually universities) require that an applicant’s major award must be achieved and/or scored in a single sitting
- John’s Central College strongly recommend you to refer to each individual Higher Education Institution Website for a full listing of linked QQI awards
- We advise you to consult the CAO website – cao.ieand http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=fetac_ to confirm specific entry requriments for Higher Educaiton Institutions
Any queries regarding St. John’s Central College Progressions can be directed to our Guidance Counsellors in our Guidance and Counselling Service – email: email@example.com
Institutes of Technologies
- Institute of Technology, Tralee
- Computing & e-Business (FETAC Level 5): linked to the second year of the Higher Certificate in
Office Information Systems at the Institute of Technology, Tralee
- Multimedia (FETAC Level 6 Advanced Certificate): linked to the second year of the Bachelor of
Arts (Honours) in Interactive Multimedia in the Institute of Technology, Tralee
- UCC Links Scheme
The UCC links to FETAC courses provides an entry route to its degree programmes for suitably qualified applicants.
- LIT (Limerick Institute of Technology)
Progression agreement to Bachelor of Science Degree (Honours) in Computing (Games Design and Development) (LC418) to Year 1 and direct entry to Year 2 can be considered.
Universities in the UK
- Napier University Edinburgh and St. John’s Central College
St. John’s Central College in conjunction with Edinburgh Napier University offers a:
Bachelor of Science (Honours) Degree in Veterinary Nursing – BSc (Hons) VN
Part-time “Top-up” programme for Veterinary Nurses who want to upgrade their qualification to honours degree level.
- Sunderland University
- Link agreements for TV and Video Production top up Level 8 Degree Programme
- Fashion Design to Year 2 Fashion Design
- Interior Design HND (Higher Diploma in 3D Design)
Edinburgh Napier University