Fine Art – Painting and Sculpture L6
QQI Art Level 6, Code 6M4029
This course offers students the opportunity to extend their artistic potential mainly through painting, drawing and sculpture. Traditional and contemporary painting techniques and theories explored in a ‘hands on’ way. Students are provided with their own personal studio space (as well as easels, paints, canvas etc.), daily tutorials from specialist staff. Students also work in alternative media and sculpture in a complementary way to their painting practice. Art appreciation classes deepen the student’s understanding of historical and current facets of the visual arts both locally and internationally. We support students to prepare a portfolio and how they may go about setting themselves up in the art world in the future.
Students can also do an optional subject that involves learning how to work creatively with groups in the community arts area.
QQI Level 5 Award in Art, Craft & Design or in a related area is required
One-year full time
|Student Services||€ 250|
|Gov PLC Fee||€ 200|
|6N3585||Arts In the Community|
|6N3450||History and appreciation of Art & Design|
- Painting – Exploring areas such as the human form, the environment and non-objective painting in oils and acrylic paints.
- Drawing – deepening an understanding of drawing including sketchbook work, life drawing with models and experimental drawing.
- Combine Materials – Mixed media and the use of ‘non traditional’ materials to enhance the student’s creativity and their appreciation of the visual and material world.
- History & Appreciation of Art – provides an insight into some important art theories.
- Sculpture – equipping the student with the knowledge and skill to generate 3D fine art sculpture using a variety of media.
- Design Skills- getting a fuller understanding and appreciation of the design process from an artist’s point of view.
- Communications – exploring personal and professional communication.
- Work Experience/practice
Portfolio preparation: There is a strong focus on portfolio preparation with one to one guidance for those applying to Art & Design Colleges including the Crawford College, Limerick school of art and design, National college of art and design and IADT with very high success rates.
Each student has their own equipped studio space and storage
Specialist Staff – the staff are very experience teachers who teach their own specialisms.
Access to the colleges Information Resource Centre / Library with an extensive collection of art books and publications and ample computers with broadband.
Trips to galleries and other course related trips.
St. John’s college is centrally located in Cork city within walking distance to galleries, art supplies shops and the bus and train station.
There are a large range of other art, design, craft and media course on campus.
Projects and continuous assessment
Participants will be required to undertake 10 days of work placement in a relevant location. The College will assist participants in identifying suitable placements.
Education Progression Opportunities
CIT / Crawford College of Art add Design: CR220; CR210; CR600
National College of Art and Design – All first year courses
LIT/ Limerick school of art and design: LC110
WIT: WD137, WD152
IADT, Dún Laoghaire: AD101, AD202, DL827
Art and design courses in the UK and Europe.
Students of this course have been successful in applying for advanced entry to the second year of some Higher Education Institutions.
- Art galleries
- Art studios
- Commercial art and other art related services.
“Level 6 fine art captures the life of a practicing artist. The course helped expand my technical skills in drawing, mixing and painting.
Having one on one tuition from my lecturers meant I could hone in on problem areas, understand and resolve them without defeat. I learned to have a more mature and open minded approach to paintings, artists, materials and the art world in general. I experimented in print, mixed media, ceramic and collage. Having all the tools and facilities on hand was such an advantage and opportunity to examine all areas. The course made a significant impression and paved the path to my own artistic career.”
Erin Goulding – Artist
Course specific Contact Details
For further details email: email@example.com