Fine Art – Painting and Sculpture L6
QQI Art Level 6, Code 6M4029
This course offers students the opportunity to extend their artistic potential mainly through painting, drawing and sculpture. Traditional and contemporary painting techniques and theories explored in a ‘hands on’ way. Students are provided with their own personal studio space (as well as easels, paints, canvas etc.), daily tutorials from specialist staff. Students also work in alternative media and sculpture in a complementary way to their painting practice. Art appreciation classes deepen the student’s understanding of historical and current facets of the visual arts both locally and internationally. We support students to prepare a portfolio and how they may go about setting themselves up in the art world in the future.
QQI Level 5 Award in Art, Craft & Design or in a related area is required
One-year full time.
|6N3450||History and appreciation of Art & Design|
- Painting – Exploring areas such as the human form, the environment and non-objective painting in oils and acrylic paints.
- Drawing – deepening an understanding of drawing including sketchbook work, life drawing with models, non observational drawing and experimental drawing.
- Combine Materials – Mixed media and the use of ‘non traditional’ materials to enhance the student’s creativity and their appreciation of the visual and material world.
- History & Appreciation of Art – provides an insight into some important art theories.
- Sculpture – equipping the student with the knowledge and skill to generate 3D fine art sculpture using a variety of media.
- Design Skills- getting a fuller understanding and appreciation of the design process from an artist’s point of view.
- Communications – exploring personal and professional communication.
- Work Experience/practice
- Portfolio Preparation Assistance
Each student has their own equipped studio space and storage
Specialist Staff – the staff are very experience teachers who teach their own specialisms.
Guest speakers from the art world are invited in to talk to and meet with the students.
Access to the colleges Information Resource Centre / Library with an extensive collection of art books and publications and ample computers with broadband.
Trips to galleries and other course related trips.
St. John’s college is centrally located in Cork city within walking distance to galleries, art supplies shops and the bus and train station.
There are a large range of other art, design, craft and media course on campus.
Projects and continuous assessment
Participants will be required to undertake 10 days of work placement in a relevant location. The College will assist participants in identifying suitable placements.
Education Progression Opportunities
CIT: CR220; CR210
WIT: WD137, WD152
IADT, Dún Laoghaire: AD101, AD202, DL827
QQI Level 6 awards may have advanced entry options into some Higher Education Institutions.
- Art galleries
- Art studios
- Commercial art and other art related services.
Level 6 Painting and Sculpture captures the life of a practising artist. The opportunity of having an
individual studio space was so beneficial. Having walls to hang my work on, not only gave me
confidence but also brought feedback and criticism from my peers which was crucial to my
development. The course helped expand my technical skills in drawing, mixing and painting.
Having one on one tuition from my teachers meant I could hone in on problem areas, understand
and resolve them without defeat. I learned to have a more mature and open minded approach to
paintings, artists, materials and the art world in general. I experimented in print, mixed media,
ceramic and collage. Having all the tools and facilities on hand was such an advantage and
opportunity to examine all areas. The course made a significant impression and paved the path
to my own artistic career.
Fine Art – Painting & Sculpture Graduate
Course specific Contact Details
For further details email: firstname.lastname@example.org